commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [math] design patterns (was Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons-sandbox/math/src/java/org/apache/commons/math/stat UnivariateImpl.java)
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2003 20:43:19 GMT
David Graham wrote:

>>> Static methods are a necessary evil in OO languages and should be
>>> avoided when possible.
>>

>> I disagree. Static functions are similar to Aspect Oriented
>> Programming, such as AspectJ which centrializes
>> code across many classes that is similar in functionality. This
>> eliminates duplicate code, and increases maintainability.
>

> I see no correlation between AOP and static methods, nor any
> correlation between static methods an increased code maintainability.
> There is nothing magic about static methods that make them more
> maintainable than non-statics.
>
> David
>

>> http://www.eclipse.org/aspectj/
>>
>> -Rob

The discussion is growing somewhat repetative, OT and monotonic, unless
anyone has a clearly differing view than whats been already voiced, I
suggest we move on to more interesting development related topics, your
probibly welcome to continue this discussion on the jakarta commons
users/interest list.

Cheers,

--
Mark Diggory