commons-dev mailing list archives

From "David Graham" <dgraham1...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] design patterns (was Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons-sandbox/math/src/java/org/apache/commons/math/stat UnivariateImpl.java)
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:36:58 GMT
> > Maybe I'm unique, but
> > sometimes I find that Java (as well as other languages) gets in my way
>rather
> > than letting me solve the problem at hand in a natural way.

You're not alone in that belief.  I've heard several people comment about
how easy it is to code Smalltalk when exploring new solutions.

> >For example, one
> > thing I would have liked to see is the ability to invoke methods by the
>same
> > name either via static class methods or via instance methods of objects
> > (where
> > appropriate and useful, of course).  I don't have enough experience with
>Java
> > to know if that's possible, though I suspect it would be difficult at
>least.

Static methods are a necessary evil in OO languages and should be avoided
when possible.  The entire Java Math class is a perfect example of poor
design because it's just a bunch of static methods.  It would have been
*much* simpler to make numbers objects and allow -1.abs() type semantics.
Anyways, my main point is that statics exist in Java to make certain things
easier, not to allow the type of thing you describe.

David