commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject [math] JLink for Mathematica and Generic API's
Date Sat, 16 Aug 2003 17:10:20 GMT
Hey guys,

Have any of you checked out JLink for mathematica? This is a very
interesting JNI bridge for Mathematica. I find it kinda interesting
because they use a Functor pattern in the "Eval" class of this package.

http://www.wolfram.com/solutions/mathlink/jlink/

I'm also looking at the Omegahat Project for intersting usage that may
relate back to our library in our future:

http://www.omegahat.org/

Specifically, this is an interesting XML Markup for Statistics that R
and Matlab currently provide.

http://www.omegahat.org/StatDataML/

I also notice theres support for this in Octave www.octave.org as well.

I know this is actually outside of the "scope of development" for
commons math. But, I think its interesting to see where all these
projects are going in terms of Java development, cross language
interaction and the exposure of their api's. One interest to me is
defining a "subset" of functionality across all these applications that
can also applies to commons math. I'm interested in the possibility of a
"specification/api" that can be used to define statistical/mathematical
evaluations in java. A generic api that one could write an evaluation in
which could be executed against any provider, similar in nature to JAXP
or JNDI.

-Mark