commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Brent Worden" <br...@worden.org>
Subject RE: [math] JLink for Mathematica and Generic API's
Date Sat, 16 Aug 2003 22:56:37 GMT

> I know this is actually outside of the "scope of development" for
> commons math. But, I think its interesting to see where all these
> projects are going in terms of Java development, cross language
> interaction and the exposure of their api's. One interest to me is
> defining a "subset" of functionality across all these applications that
> can also applies to commons math. I'm interested in the possibility of a
> "specification/api" that can be used to define statistical/mathematical
> evaluations in java. A generic api that one could write an evaluation in
> which could be executed against any provider, similar in nature to JAXP
> or JNDI.
>

> -Mark

If you're talking about creating a Service Provider Interface, I
whole-heartedly agree.  I envision we would follow the existing JAR service
provider mechanism
(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/guide/jar/jar.html#Service%20Provider)
and use commons-discovery to enable it.

The library, as it stands, wouldn't be too hard to morph into two separate
JARs, one for the API and one for the default implementation.

Brent Worden
http://www.brent.worden.org