commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [lang] Words - for 2.0
Date Sat, 16 Aug 2003 16:56:17 GMT

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

> In examining the release, I found I need to annoy everyone again.

*aarggh* :)

> WordWrapUtils is broken.

No no no. It's a feature.

> The algorithm relies on a newLineChars parameter that is used for two
> purposes.
> 1) Splitting the input string
> 2) Adding newlines to the output string
>
> This is a new class, so it should either be pulled (preferred) or fixed (not
> preferred, as there are various issues)

+1 to pulled out for consideration for 2.1/other.

> Related issue - WordWrapUtils is too specific a name.
> I propose:
> 1) changing it to WordUtils (or StringWordUtils)

+1 on WordUtils. More generic.

> 2) moving capitalizeAllWords to WordUtils
> 3) moving uncapitalizeAllWords to WordUtils
> 4) moving swapCase to WordUtils

+1 for 2.1/3.0.

> This would help reduce the size of StringUtils, and provide much better
> functional grouping. There is lots we can do with words. (Of course you
> could argue for a separate [text] project, but I doubt there is that much.)

-1 to [text] taking the above until [text] is ready for 1.0. I am +1 for a
[text], in the same way I'm +1 for [math], but I don't want us to
deprecate our methods until [math] releases at 1.0 with our methods
included.

> I would like to do this for 2.0, as otherwise users of capitaliseAllWords
> will have to change twice. However we could say that is a small group of
> people and postpone the change to 2.1.
>
> Opinions?

There are going to be changes on the new features before 2.1/3.0, and
it's going to be a year probably until we have a 3.0 out [though 2.0.1 or
2.1 might be quicker]. I may be being lazy, but I don't think that going
with WordUtils right now would affect too many people and we don't really
have enough knowledge right now to get it right for 2.0.

Hen