commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hls...@comcast.net>
Subject [HiveMind] RE: Hivemind questions
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2003 19:34:25 GMT

Hi Howard,
Jakarta-commons-sandbox maillist is too general and maybe tapestry is not right forum.

Put [HiveMind] in the subject onthe jakarta-commons mail list.

Recently I was assigned to a kind of middleware project.
Now is ideal time to make some refactorings. There is ugly code to manage configuration (singletons
and properties loaders). This project is based on services.
There are 3 SLSBs as main entry points.
At this moment these session beans attend requests from Swing clients via web services.

I guess Hivemind fits perfectly in this project. I'd like to implement a weblogic startup
class to
load Registry and stored it at JNDI.

That's one approach; we're doing it from a HttpServlet init() method.  The servlet (a WAR
inside an
EAR) will have maximum visibility to classes and module descriptors that are deployed inside
EJB
JARs.

Is it possible? Can I call Hivemind services from a Session Bean?

No reason why not; the trick is to get the Registry singleton (out of JNDI, in your case).
 Another
option is to put the hivemind-xxx.jar on the system classpath and just use HiveMind.getDefault()
(use HiveMind.setDefault() after constructing the registry).

Dealing with classloader issues inside an app server is the big challenge.  In some cases,
you need
to roll your own ClassLoader to access modules that wouldn't otherwise be visible.

 Is Hivemind API stable enough?

I think so; I'm making improvements but nothing destabilizing.

Best regards,

David