commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hls...@comcast.net>
Subject RE: HiveMind / Eclipse
Date Sun, 21 Sep 2003 21:57:07 GMT
Eclipse obviously has better tool support ... it has the PDE.

Eclipse doesn't include the <rules> concept, the ability to convert contributed XML
directly into
useable Java objects.  In Eclipse, your plugin gets, effectively, a light-weight DOM to walk;
in
HiveMind you get an array of objects.

Biggest difference is that HiveMind includes a services model; Eclipse has nothing like this
beyond
its interesting approach to classloading and plugin activation.

Participation: subscribe to the commons dev mailing list, post with "[HIveMind]" in the list.
HiveMind is reorganizing into three sub-projects: framework contains the core framework; library
contains standard (well understood, well tested, well documented, generally useful) services.
contrib will be created soon, it's a kind of sandbox for new stuff.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components