commons-dev mailing list archives

From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons-sandbox/resources build-legacy.xml build.xml
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2003 21:36:37 GMT
--- robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On Monday, September 8, 2003, at 09:07 PM, Robert Leland wrote:
> > rdonkin@apache.org wrote:
> >
> >> rdonkin     2003/09/08 11:20:53
> >>
> >>  Modified:    resources build.xml
> >>  Added:       resources build-legacy.xml
> >>  Log:
> >>  Replaced legacy build.xml with maven generated one
> >>
> > Preferace: I am not a resources committer.
> >
> > I am happy with all the other many changes that you made,
> > except this one.
> >
> > I don't consider an ant build file legacy.
> > Why was this done when to my knowledge it isn't necessary ?
> > Does the generated maven.xml do every thing that the old ant build
> does ?
> > Is it as well documented for build targets ?
> >
> > I would like to see this file restored as it was.
>
> hi rob
>
> this is what's usually meant by mavenization. (sorry if you
> misunderstood
> what i mean.)
>
> the maven build becomes the primary, maintained build. the old
> hand-written ant build file becomes the legacy build.

So, does Maven generate an ant build.xml file for you?  If so, I assume
you could build a mavenized project with just ant and the build.xml?

> most components
> using maven found that maintaining two different build systems (hand
> coded
> ant build script and mavenized project) produces too many conflicts. it
> is
> also dangerous since gump and nightly builds work from the ant build.xml
> -
> if this is not maintained, then there may be false positives and false
> negatives.
>
> i'd be happy to revert to the manual base build but IMHO maven is pretty
>
> much all-or-nothing. so i'd say that reverting this changes also means
> reverting all the mavenization i've done. if the community chooses
> reversion, i'd propose removing the maven build altogether and instead
> use
> anakia (or forrest) to build the documentation. it's cleaner, clearer
> and
> easier to maintain that way.

-1 on using anakia or forrest.  Maven and Ant are the most popular build
tools in commons and I don't really feel like learning yet another build
process.

David