commons-dev mailing list archives

From Neil O'Toole <neiloto...@users.sourceforge.net>
Subject Re: [collections] submission: KeyValueRecord
Date Sun, 21 Sep 2003 02:15:09 GMT
> 'Record' confused me and made me think of databases. Is
> KeyValueHistory a better name?

Stephen, you're probably right. I had been bouncing back and forth
between 'Record' and 'History'... the data structure does *record*  a
kv-pair's *history*, but in fact only the most recent part (one state
transition 'record') of the history.

However, one would expect that a "KeyValueHistory" class should be able
to store the entire history of a key (as well as just a single value).
I hadn't initially needed this capability for my own purposes, but I
now see the usefulness. So,

 #getPreviousValue : Object

should probably be replaced with:

 #getAllValues : List

What do we think? In terms of design, either the constructors would get
very messy to use, or we need to add factory methods to distinguish
between:

KeyValueHistory( Object key, Object value)
KeyValueHistory( Object key, List values)

Attached is an implementation that supports multiple previous values,
and provides static factory methods. Thoughts?

- Neil