commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons-sandbox/resources build-legacy.xml build.xml
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2003 20:49:53 GMT
On Monday, September 8, 2003, at 09:07 PM, Robert Leland wrote:
> rdonkin@apache.org wrote:
>
>> rdonkin     2003/09/08 11:20:53
>>
>>  Modified:    resources build.xml
>>  Added:       resources build-legacy.xml
>>  Log:
>>  Replaced legacy build.xml with maven generated one
>>
> Preferace: I am not a resources committer.
>
> I am happy with all the other many changes that you made,
> except this one.
>
> I don't consider an ant build file legacy.
> Why was this done when to my knowledge it isn't necessary ?
> Does the generated maven.xml do every thing that the old ant build does ?
> Is it as well documented for build targets ?
>
> I would like to see this file restored as it was.

hi rob

this is what's usually meant by mavenization. (sorry if you misunderstood
what i mean.)

the maven build becomes the primary, maintained build. the old
hand-written ant build file becomes the legacy build. most components
using maven found that maintaining two different build systems (hand coded
ant build script and mavenized project) produces too many conflicts. it is
also dangerous since gump and nightly builds work from the ant build.xml -
if this is not maintained, then there may be false positives and false
negatives.

i'd be happy to revert to the manual base build but IMHO maven is pretty
much all-or-nothing. so i'd say that reverting this changes also means
reverting all the mavenization i've done. if the community chooses
reversion, i'd propose removing the maven build altogether and instead use
anakia (or forrest) to build the documentation. it's cleaner, clearer and
easier to maintain that way.

if you still feel strongly about this i'd be happy if you nominated
yourself as a commons-resources committer and put mavenization to the VOTE.
  (i'd be happy to revert all the changes i've made and put an anakia - or
forrest - based documentation build target into the ant build script
instead if the VOTE goes against mavenization.)

- robert