commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [collections] Primitive-value maps
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2003 18:58:37 GMT
In a world of ininite coding time then I would be helping create maps in
primitives, possibly based on those in the PCJ project (sourceforge). I
don't think there is any doubt that maps need creating and [primitives] is
the right project for that at Apache.

If you want to help out in creating maps, I would be happy to help code
review, discuss and make the commits.

Stephen

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rodney Waldhoff" <rwaldhoff@apache.org>
> No, classes for this purpose which previously existed in collections were
> moved to (and released from) the commons proper project primitives.
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/primitives
>
> On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Arun Thomas wrote:
>
> > Ash,
> >
> > Classes for this purpose which previously existed in COLLECTIONS were
moved to the Sandbox project - PRIMITIVES.  Please take a look there.
There's apparently a lot of work going on with these classes, so check it
out.

> > -AMT

can work on the implementation this weekend. Ash

> > [Stephen]
> > >I would only add the
> > >full signature version (with default). That way the method name can
> > >just be getDouble().
> >
> > But that would provoke the question "if I want to retrieve a primitive
without specifying a default, why should I have to mention a default (even
> > 0) everytime??"
> >
> > I would propose we inlclude both variants (with and sans default), and
have a uniform naming for them. Even if we add only the default-taking
method today, what if we decide tomorrow that the defaultless one can be
useful.

> > And then, I think it is ok if we cannot preserve the same method names.
> >
> > so, I propose the following:
> >
> > public static double getIntValue(Map map, Object key)
> > public static double getIntValue(Map map, Object key, int defaultValue)
> >
> > etc for each prim (and String)
> >
> > Waiting for feedback from others.
> >
> > I can implement these methods after I am done with the subarray(prim[])
ones.