commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Virtual Commons!!!!! (was Re: What is Jakarta Commons?)
Date Wed, 24 Dec 2003 04:10:11 GMT
Quoting "Noel J. Bergman" <noel@devtech.com>:

> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>
> > Why don't the various commons groups in the ASF just have the AC PMC
> > add things on the A-C site and 'federate' that way?  The respective
> > PMCs would still do what they do - oversee the projects - and the AC
> > PMC can maintain the website.
>
> I don't see why not.  That seems like a reasonable example, and way to
> explore this idea we've been talking about.  Regardless of whether the PMC
> is Jakarta, XML, WS, A-C, J-C, etc. the A-C site could serve as a portal to
> commons code.

That can happen with *zero* organizational changes too.

Greg:  community != developers

Craig:  community != website

:-)

> FWIW, if codec wants to start using Subversion, why not?  I think that it is
> important for everyone to start being exposed to it, even vicariously via
> seeing discussion and commit notices.

That's up to the codec committers to decide, if we assume that j-c is really a
fragmented bunch of mini-communities.  If we think there is an overall j-c
community, IMHO that's the sort of thing one would assume is common to all of
them.

> 	--- Noel

Craig