commons-dev mailing list archives

From peter royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Jelly][RT] The purpose of the JellyContext
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2003 15:31:32 GMT
On Dec 23, 2003, at 7:12 AM, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> I just started to look at Jelly for using it as the main template
> engine within Cocoon and was a little bit surprised by the
> JellyContext class.
>
> But first, Jelly is really great and provides exactly the
> extensability I need.

yea! i'm heavily using it in cocoon and it rocks!

> So, I think separating the concerns would make things easier.
> What do you think of creating a "Parser" (whatever you call it),
> that gets all the compileXX and runXX methods from the JellyContext
> and leave only the context handling at the JellyContext.

I'd call it a 'ScriptLoader' or something, but I agree with the general
idea. There are some bugs in the tracker that deal with relative URL's
inside a script (using the import functionality) that could be solved
while doing such a fix.

So we'd have:
   * JellyContext -> Context for the execution of a Script object
(variable storage, resource loading, etc)
   * ScriptLoader -> Handles taglib registration and creation of Script
objects (and immediate execution) from various sources ( URL, file, etc
)

> In addition, a compileXX/runXX method that can directly handle
> an InputStream instead of a URL would be very great for Cocoon.

Or anything that is XMLizable (more useful for Cocoon, since you can
hook an internal pipeline directly into a script). (I have one already,
as well as a few other helper components, such as a compiled script
cache, that you might find useful..)

> If you're interested I can provide a patch.

patches welcome! :)
-pete