commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brent Verner <br...@rcfile.org>
Subject proposal for activationStatement and passivationStatement in PoolableConnectionFactory
Date Sun, 21 Dec 2003 14:42:48 GMT

  I've often had the need to perform some setup of a connection
before it can be used, such as:

  ALTER SESSION SET current_schema = workable_schema;

  As such, I've had a hacked version of dbcp around for a while
that adds an "activationStatement" and a "passivationStatement".
Both are fed thru the Statement.execute(String) method, and
nothing is done with any (possible) ResultSet from the query.
These statements are executed in the activateObject() and
passivateObject() methods (of PoolableConnectionFactory). If an
exception is thrown when executing either, a message is logged,
and normal processing continues, i.e., a "bad" activationStatement
will not cause the connection to be considered "bad".

  If this is something that might be considered for inclusion
in dbcp, please give me some feedback/comments on the notes
above and I'll send a patch.

cheers.
  Brent

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman