commons-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Re: [plea] get back to work -- was Re: [codec] [proposal] Moving To Apache Commons
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2003 11:42:00 GMT
On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 09:18:43AM -0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> I'll say again - the Board could avoid this damage by
> choosing to ACT rather than REACT.

I don't think that I can stress this enough: the Board is too far removed
to "ACT" properly. We can certainly take actions, but it will invariably
be suboptimal.

The people who are supposed to act are the PMC. Without question.

If you think the Jakarta PMC cannot act to fix its problems, or problems
within J-C, then that is a whole different situation(*).

But the simple fact is that the Jakarta PMC should fix things, not the
Board. The Board is way too blunt, and is the wrong tool.

Cheers,
-g

(*) I tend to share your opinion that the PMC is too large and crosses too
many diverse communities to be able to reach any kind of consensus. My
response is TLPs. My hope is the PMC will recognize that well before the
Board is forced to take any action.

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/