commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Virtual Commons!!!!! (was Re: What is Jakarta Commons?)
Date Wed, 24 Dec 2003 04:32:46 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>

>>I personally think that the idea of "Commons" should become more
>>"Virtual" and "Evolutionary" in nature.
>

>>if theres ever the case that "xml commons" and "jakarta commons"
>>could become a shared community, it would produce the following
>>benefits
>

> Mark, what you are saying is basically supporting the notion of decoupling
> web presence from project oversight, and supporting the idea of federation
> instead of containment.
>
> A PMC oversees the code, resources, community for a project.  There is
> nothing that prevents them from federating to produce portals as you
> describe.  I have suggested it recently as one good approach.
>
> Without going into details right now comparing various plans, let me note
> that Federation is one approach being discussed on Jakarta General as part
> of a larger reorganization discussion.
>
> 	--- Noel

Well, I think thats a great idea and would wholly support such an
endeavor. I think this *federation* idea would eventually lead to a
solution that was really scalable and met everyones needs.

To note: What I was presenting actually extends beyond "web presence"
and more into project structure, packaging and deployment. Web presence
is one thing, componentization and ease of reuse is more integral to how
Apache projects "relate" to one another and are successfully reused.

With J-C, the migration to project management with Maven is really
helping to standardize the structure and packaging of the components.

Eventually, if this can benefit other TLP's and their subprojects, then
that just scales the reusability out even further, again without having
to "restructure" anything really at all. And, I suspect this even goes
further, many projects on Sourceforge and java.net are relying on this
componentization and reusing these components even outside of Apache. I
know I have. Kudos to those Maven Guys.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory