commons-dev mailing list archives

From ASHWIN Suresh <a.sur...@sigmatel.net.ma>
Subject RE: [lang] new StringBuffer
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:30:59 GMT
First off, in my conception of the replacement of StringBuffer,
I imagine error handling will take care of wrongly passed in values
in a manner similar to classes in cmmons.lang, rather than in Standard
API. That is, it will change the erroneous inputs to benign values,
rather than throwing an exception. Please confirm this.

If Stephen meant that even erroneous input results in the same behavior
as in java.lang.StringBuffer, then I would say, my understanding
of the intention of the replacement was in part to soften the reaction
toward wrong argument input. Let me know.

Talking about name, I would add my opinion that while it might be
nice to have a name for the replacer that is much like the replacee,
(StringBuf) one might prefer a more descriptive name at the expense
of this convenience: (ImmutableString).

As a compromise between the two, the name Strand can be adopted (Str...
so near the original one + can be defined to represent a mutable
string contrasted with "String" which, by virtue of the so-named
class in the API, is immutable.)

Comments.
Ash