commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [digester][review] New Schema supports
Date Thu, 04 Dec 2003 22:54:45 GMT
On 4 Dec 2003, at 18:13, Jeanfrancois Arcand wrote:

> Simon Kitching wrote:

<snip>

>> If the user finds their parser is not supported they do
>> have a fallback: the options listed at the start of this email. These
>> options are just as simple as someone writing a separate Factory for
>> their parser type, and less baggage for Digester to be carrying
>> around.
>>
> That's a valid argument (This is exactly what I did in Tomcat)...but I
> think making life easier for the user is better, and hiding the XML
> schema complexity is a way to explore.

+1

(that's why i prodded JeanFrancois to come up with something like this
:)

we've had a lot of issues with users digesting documents with schemas
posted to the lists. yep, there are ways to solve them (and we should
probably patch the documentation to tell users that they should
probably be tuning their parsers direct) but many users want to be able
to digest without knowing or caring about the parser they are using.
(for example, me :)

there's also the issue of portability - digester is often used in web
apps. the actual parser which will be used may be unknown when the web
app is created. it'd be nice to support portability even if this means
putting in parser specific code.

i think that the code is fine but i'd like to try to improve the
structure. (i've had some bad experiences in the past with static
utility classes in beanutils). i'd like to make it easy for developers
to post easy patches supporting other parsers which we can easily plug
in. but i'll need a little more time to think about this before i can
come up with anything more concrete...

- robert