commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: [Jelly-Tags SOAP] patched project.xml to run demo
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2003 10:25:36 GMT
Paul Libbrecht wrote on Tuesday, December 09, 2003 10:20 AM:

> On Mardi, déce 9, 2003, at 10:09 Europe/Paris, Jörg Schaible wrote:
>> It depends on your project <g>. IMHO j2ee 1.4 contains jwsdp 1.2
>> completely, but at least the components used for jelly-soap are
>> contained in both. j2ee 1.4 is twice as big as jwsdp 1.2, BUT jwsdp
>> 1.2 is just an evaluation license for 60 days ...
>
> And j2ee's license ?
> We're getting closer.

Not really, distribution is prohibited in both licenses. I am not familiar with the license
in every in detail, but IMHO every J2EE server vendor has to license these jars for redistribution.
Don't ask me, how this is solved for jBoss, Jonas or Enhydra, especially since the license
has a passage, that you're not allowed to write classes on your own in the java, javax or
sun namespace ...

Regards,
Jörg

Extract from the j2ee 1.4 license:
============ snip =================

D. You may copy and use the header files and class libraries solely to
create and distribute programs to interface with Software APIs only as
explicitly provided in Software documentation.  You may not modify the
header files or class libraries.

E.  You may not modify the Java Platform Interface ("JPI" identified
as classes contained within the "java" Package or subpackages of the
"java" package), by creating additional classes within the JPI or
otherwise causing the addition to or modification of the classes in
the JPI.  In the event that you create an additional class and
associated API(s) which (i) extends the functionality of the Java
platform, and (ii) is exposed to third party software developers for
the purpose of developing additional software which invokes such
additional API, you must promptly publish broadly an accurate
specification for such API for free use by all developers.  You may
not create, or authorize your licensees to create additional classes,
interfaces, or sub- packages that are in any way identified as "java",
"javax", "sun" or similar convention as specified by Sun in any naming
convention designation.