commons-dev mailing list archives

From Thomas Pl├╝mpe <thoman...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: compare XML file and generate a differential XML file
Date Sun, 04 Jan 2004 11:55:22 GMT
> I want to create a differential XML file out of two XML files. I believe i would have
to use some Object Model to generate object tree out of both XMLs
> and then compare them to find the difference and write out the differential XML.
You should probably ask this question on a Java and/or XML developer
list/newsgroup.

Anyway, are you sure you want to do this yourself? It's a problem that
requires quite a bit of thought/effort/time and there are several tools
available (just search for "xmldiff", "xml diff", "diff xml" and throw a
"java" in here or there), e.g.
  http://www.logilab.org/projects/xmldiff (Python),
  http://www.vmguys.com/vmtools/ (JDOM, open source), and
  http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~yuanwang/xdiff.html (Xerces2-J, open source).

In certain cases pretty printing the XML and doing a normal text diff
with jrcs may also be sufficient:
  http://www.suigeneris.org/jrcs/

Please let me know which of the tools you find helpful should you get
around to try them.

Thomas