commons-dev mailing list archives

From steve cohen <sco...@javactivity.org>
Subject Re: [net] checked in parser factory implementation
Date Sat, 03 Jan 2004 21:03:38 GMT
That's a thorny one.

Problem is, the current implementations of FTPFileEntryParser, also, for
reasons of backward compatibility, implement FTPFileListParser.  I don't
remember exactly why I did that but there was a reason.  But the problem is
that deprecating FTPFileListParser will deprecate every parser currently in
the package.

Another source of confusion was out-of-date documentation.  There were
documents for FTPFileEntryParser related stuff that referred to
FTPFileListParser in the usage section.  I've cleaned that up too.

I think the new functionality I've added, which supports both autodetection of
parser and specification of parser either by classname or key ("UNIX", "VMS",
etc.) will go a long way to making this easier to deal with.  The key is to
now use the new FTPClient.getFileList() methods in place of
FTPClient.listFiles().  They can use the autodetect feature and never get
near the question of which parser interface to use.  Even if specifying by
key, all these internals are handled for them.  It really should be lots
better.  If anything needs deprecation at this point, I would say it might be
FTPClient.listFiles().

Then, if we have time, maybe we can look at refactoring the whole mess.