commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: new project proposal: Type Conversion Library
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2004 22:55:45 GMT
hi ron

IIRC there is a proto-project in the sandbox along these lines called
convert. convertutils (in beanutils) is ok but is handicapped by
backwards compatibility. it's been lacking momentum for some while but
it's might be easier to revive that project that create a new one.

it's probably good that you don't have much code (just - hopefully -
enthusiasm) since that avoids any thorny questions of importing
external code. i'd suggest that you take a look at the convert project
and about ways to take it forward. then next phase would be writing
some patches and submitting them. (it might be wise to see whether they
are any committers willing to act as mentors for convert before putting
too much work in.)

here are some urls:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/volunteering.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/patches.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/getinvolved.html

but there's quite a lot else on the web site and the wiki if you're
willing to look hard enough.

- robert