commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Tim Reilly" <tim.rei...@consultant.com>
Subject RE: [id] UUID sending more code and a question or two
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:06:24 GMT
> What exactly is this showing that could not be tested in Java or by
running
> a Java test using a pre-generated file of GUIDs made with the C code?
What
> I meant in my earlier response was that the pain of maintaining and
> distributing C code with the unit tests did not seem justified by the
> value.  Maybe I am missing something?

No not missing anything. I see your point effort != value. My feeling at
this point is that the time test using native code was  really an oracle*
test (I was overly confident my formatting code was correct; so I looked for
the problem to be in the time value.) The time calculating is straight
forward so I'd agree doesn't need to be part of a unit test.

*oracle: "Independent generation of expected results", not oracle the
vendor.