commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [id] UUID sending more code and a question or two
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:09:37 GMT
Tim Reilly wrote:
> I'd decided to test my time (clock) values against the
> example code in the uuid draft.

Which UUID draft?
http://www.webdav.org/specs/draft-leach-uuids-guids-01.txt?

Isn't this something that the SOAP/Axis projects also need, and could
benefit from?  ref:
http://ws.apache.org/axis/java/apiDocs/org/apache/axis/components/uuid/packa
ge-summary.html

> I'd get about a 34.07xx year difference in my return values
> versus what the C code in the draft is giving.  Eventually,
> I figured out to upcast the time struct's return values to
> unsigned long long before multiplying

> It would be difficult for me to use the C code in the unit tests
> (but not impossible I suppose.)

> I felt it was important to test against the C reference code
> in the UUID draft appendix

Agreed.  What about including the C code from the draft specification in the
test, and then comparing output from the reference implementation against
our implementation?  And I'm not sure what AXIS C uses for UUID generation.

	--- Noel