commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [uid] Uuid
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2004 19:17:08 GMT
Gary Gregory wrote:

> Sun's naming recommendation [1] are not consistent IMO.

Sure they are.  But their application of them has not been, although over
time they have changed to follow them more closely, and have deprecated
methods that don't.  "The Code Conventions for the Java Programming Language
document was revised and updated on April 20, 1999."  If I recall correctly,
the PDF I mentioned recently goes into more detail.

> Sun's Javamail even has oddball class names like text_html and text_xml.

And with good reason, if you look at JAF.  Part of a pattern for matching up
with MIME.

> For class names, Sun says to use mixed case name and ACRONYMS and for
> statics, use uppercase with underscores (MAX_WIDTH). Does this mean
> that we should have class names like XML_DOM_ReaderThing?

No, it would be XMLDOMReaderThing, since a class is not a static member.

	--- Noel