commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [lang][proposal] SystemUtils property out of sync problem; add set methods.
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2004 23:11:43 GMT
From: "Gary Gregory" <ggregory@seagullsw.com>
> > Do people really change these values? (other than in tests, which kinda
> > don't count...)
>
> My feeling is that is does not matter what /kind/ of call site uses (for
> example) SystemUtils, whether it is application code or unit test code. My
> application, in general terms, is the client/customer. What matters is
that
> [lang] provides the services that make my job of writing code
> easier/better/faster.

The point I'm really driving at is where the limits of [lang] lie. There is
no technical difficulty (other than its a bit boring) of adding get and set
methods for each system property in addition to the constants. The question
is whether it serves a big enough need.

Maybe there is a large need to change environment variables, but I just feel
a little unconvinced. Consider me -0 I guess.

Stephen