commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject [commons-site] Alternate Horizontal Project Navigation
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2004 01:34:59 GMT
I worked out the kinks on an alternate project navigation, please have a
look and comment:

http://www.apache.org/~mdiggory/commons/math/project-info.html

Pro's

1.) Navigation better integrated into page layout.
2.) Horizontal positioning at top of page more traditional for navigation.
3.) Strong CSS control over look and feel, 0% javascript
4.) Clearly separates "Shared Commons Navigation" from "Individual
Project Navigation".

Con's

1.) Limits number of items on a level to the width of the page
(although it does provide "wrapping" when items are greater than width).

2.) Currently limited to menus nested three levels deep.
(but easily extendable to more).
3.) Currently doesn't integrate custom project navigation.
(but could easily be adapted for such support, I had initially included
it, but encountered small issues with merging two separate "menu sets").

I think its important to clearly separate the "Projects Navigation" from
the overall shared "Commons Navigation", I believe positioning them in
very separate locations of the site gives the user a much clearer path
and ease in determining the level of the site they are within.

-Mark
--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer