commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [commons-site] Alternate Horizontal Project Navigation
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2004 04:02:54 GMT
Ok I added the following:

1.) first three navi levels stay the same height if content present or not.
2.) nested custom project documentation menus under "About <Project>"
(requires special formating (and menu/@type="tab" attribute to be
visible there).
3.) disabled "Development Process" button (working on removing it).

As an example of three levels being filled:
http://www.apache.org/~mdiggory/commons/math/userguide/index.html

-Mark

Tim O'Brien wrote:

> I think this helps.  Although the "About Math" tab should have a blank
> subtab for consistency.
>
> ...now the left nav - it is soooo busy.
>
> Tim
>

> Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>
>> I worked out the kinks on an alternate project navigation, please have
>> a look and comment:
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/~mdiggory/commons/math/project-info.html
>>
>> Pro's
>>
>> 1.) Navigation better integrated into page layout.
>> 2.) Horizontal positioning at top of page more traditional for
>> navigation.
>> 3.) Strong CSS control over look and feel, 0% javascript
>> 4.) Clearly separates "Shared Commons Navigation" from "Individual
>> Project Navigation".
>>
>> Con's
>>
>> 1.) Limits number of items on a level to the width of the page
>> (although it does provide "wrapping" when items are greater than width).
>>
>> 2.) Currently limited to menus nested three levels deep.
>> (but easily extendable to more).
>> 3.) Currently doesn't integrate custom project navigation.
>> (but could easily be adapted for such support, I had initially
>> included it, but encountered small issues with merging two separate
>> "menu sets").
>>

>> I think its important to clearly separate the "Projects Navigation"
>> from the overall shared "Commons Navigation", I believe positioning
>> them in very separate locations of the site gives the user a much
>> clearer path and ease in determining the level of the site they are
>> within.
>>
>> -Mark

Mark Diggory
Software Developer