commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject [general] How much to focus on minimising dependencies Was: [lang] Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/lang/src/java/org/apache/commons/lang Validate.java
Date Thu, 03 Jun 2004 04:46:47 GMT

Changing the subject to kick it more open.

My view is:

(From earlier)
"As a basic rule, I think it's pretty fair to state that package hierarchy
 should be obeyed as far as dependencies goes. This means that a package's
 classes may not depend on a sibling package, or a child package, but it
 may depend on a super-package or classes within the same package. "

Siblings sometimes have to depend on each other, but it's the same type of
dependency as inter-project dependencies.

Allowing for a single class to be copy and pasted is too much though.

I'd be interested in hearing counter-arguments to this viewpoint.

Hen