commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Zeigermann <oliver.zeigerm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: XML Im-/Ex-porter into Commons Sandbox
Date Mon, 11 Oct 2004 05:41:10 GMT
On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 07:59:53 +0100, robert burrell donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> 3 alternatives are good but direct competitors are bad. we are short of
> developer energy here in the commons and components in the same area
> should share a community and coorperate rather than fight for mind
> share. fights for mind share between direct open source competitors can
> turn very nasty. we've (so far) managed to keep quite a healthy
> community here in the commons and i'm very keen to keep it this way.
> therefore, saying that xmlio needs a place in the commons because it's
> better than digester does make me worried. in the past, components
> pushed in this manner have tended to end up finding homes elsewhere.

Who said xmlio is better than digester? I have never even indicated
anything in that direction and Daniel said he perferred the xmlio
philisophy over digester. Really, no competition at all. Both work by
reading in XML and providing it to you in a transformed way and this
is where what they have in common ends.

> 4 users are going to ask: should i use digester (betwixt, JXPath,
> xmlbeans, jaxme) or xmlio? we should be able to clearly and fair
> describe and explain the differences if we are going to have two
> components. if digester and xmlio really are direct competitors (no
> substantial conceptual or philosophical differences, just
> implementation ones) then it would be better to rename xmlio digester 2
> (packaged under the org.apache.commons.digester2). digester (1) is
> mature now and it's not really possible to push it much further. work
> on a combined digester 1 replacement could then start as digester 3
> (packaged under rg.apache.commons.digester3).

As I already tried to explain. Both are soooooo different. No need for
any worries...
They even serve a different audience I guess. Digester is good for
people who do not want to see any XML stuff and what Java objects,
with xmlio you are closer to the guts of SAX and XML.

Oliver