commons-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@activemath.org>
Subject Re: [jelly] XMLOutput.data(Object)
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2004 07:54:11 GMT
Maybe one little quick example:

- currently, jelly-swing's ComponentTag calls, somewhere down in its
doTag() findAncestorWithClass(ContainerTag.class) to which they call
addComponent... At least one major drawback: putting such in a defined
tag does not work unless you go till the top-level container in the
defined tag (so no re-used swing script-snippets). Many other issues...
- proposed: jelly-swing's ComponentTag should call, in its doTag(),
xmlOutput.data(myBean)
   Advantage: works with scripts.

- currently: jelly-sql can only define variables with the current
result-sets
   Instead, the result-set could be given as data and the latter be
transformed by some other tags
   (e.g. a tag that would merge the fields, or extract the only
interesting ones).

Overall, the idea is to have the ability for a tag to give "return
value"  that is not XML.

I could produce many more scenarios. Most probably that should affect
UseBeanTag... though maybe not at first launch. I would propose to
enrich XMLOutput class itself (by adding the method doing the default
toString). This should really bother the release, I believe. Then I'd
like to concentrate on using this jelly-swing, with the hope to be able
to make a jelly-swing-runner as a browser (maybe for jelly-swing 1.1 or
so).

paul