commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mfncoo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Status files and the Commons charter (was Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/math STATUS.html)
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2004 01:28:02 GMT
On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 17:54:38 -0500, Phil Steitz <phil@steitz.com> wrote:
> Martin Cooper wrote:
> > This is actually a precedent-setting commit. ;-)
>
> No -- [dbcp], [codec], [launcher] and [pool] all show "dead" STATUS.html
> files in cvs attic.  Several others - [configuration], [betwixt], [cli],
> [net] do not appear to have ever had a STATUS file.
>

> > Currently, the Commons charter states that a status file must exist,
> > and, to date, I believe people have assumed that that file must be
> > named either "STATUS.txt" or "STATUS.html". Since, as Phil says below,
> > this status file is obsoleted by the combination of project.xml and
> > changes.xml, at least for Mavenised projects, it might be worth being
> > more explicit about this in the charter.
> >
> > So, we could add a clause to the charter that says that "the status
> > file" is either (project.xml + changes.xml) for a Mavenised project,
> > or STATUS.html or STATUS.txt for non-Mavenised projects.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> What version of the charter published here
> <http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/charter.html> says is
>
> "Each package is treated as a product in its own right.
>
>    1. Each package has its own status file, release schedule, version
> number, QA tests, documentation, mailing list, bug category, and
> individual JAR.
>    2. Each package must clearly specify any external dependencies,
> including any other Commons packages, and the earliest JDK version required.
>          1. External dependencies on optional and third-party codebases
> should be minimized.
>          2. All necessary dependencies must be recorded in the
> MANIFEST.MF file of the package JAR, in the manner recommended in the
> JDK 1.3 documentation describing 'system extensions'
>    3. Each package must maintain a list of its active committers in its
> status file."
>
> The statements above indicate that the basic information should exist in
> a single file.  Seems to me that the info in project.xml by itself
> serves this purpose; though it might be better to change the wording as
> you describe to explicitly allow it.
>
> I will gladly revert the commit below (and update the STATUS.html file
> so it matches the release) if you or anyone else really feel that
> dropping it violates the j-c charter.

No, I don't believe that's necessary. If I did, I would have vetoed
the commit, which I didn't do. ;-) All I'm suggesting is that we might
want to clarify the charter to be more specific about what file "the
status file" actually is. Really, a status file isn't very useful if
people don't know where to find it. ;-)

--
Martin Cooper