commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <p...@steitz.com>
Subject Re: Status files and the Commons charter (was Re: cvs commit: jakarta-commons/math STATUS.html)
Date Sun, 05 Dec 2004 22:54:38 GMT
Martin Cooper wrote:
> This is actually a precedent-setting commit. ;-)

No -- [dbcp], [codec], [launcher] and [pool] all show "dead" STATUS.html
files in cvs attic.  Several others - [configuration], [betwixt], [cli],
[net] do not appear to have ever had a STATUS file.

> Currently, the Commons charter states that a status file must exist,
> and, to date, I believe people have assumed that that file must be
> named either "STATUS.txt" or "STATUS.html". Since, as Phil says below,
> this status file is obsoleted by the combination of project.xml and
> changes.xml, at least for Mavenised projects, it might be worth being
> more explicit about this in the charter.
>
> So, we could add a clause to the charter that says that "the status
> file" is either (project.xml + changes.xml) for a Mavenised project,
> or STATUS.html or STATUS.txt for non-Mavenised projects.
>
> Comments?

What version of the charter published here
<http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/charter.html> says is

"Each package is treated as a product in its own right.

    1. Each package has its own status file, release schedule, version
number, QA tests, documentation, mailing list, bug category, and
individual JAR.
    2. Each package must clearly specify any external dependencies,
including any other Commons packages, and the earliest JDK version required.
          1. External dependencies on optional and third-party codebases
should be minimized.
          2. All necessary dependencies must be recorded in the
MANIFEST.MF file of the package JAR, in the manner recommended in the
JDK 1.3 documentation describing 'system extensions'
    3. Each package must maintain a list of its active committers in its
status file."

The statements above indicate that the basic information should exist in
a single file.  Seems to me that the info in project.xml by itself
serves this purpose; though it might be better to change the wording as
you describe to explicitly allow it.

I will gladly revert the commit below (and update the STATUS.html file
so it matches the release) if you or anyone else really feel that
dropping it violates the j-c charter.

Phil