commons-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Sitze <rsi...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [logging] Enterprise Common Logging... dare we say 2.0?
Date Thu, 16 Dec 2004 18:09:36 GMT
David Graham <grahamdavid1980@yahoo.com> wrote on 12/16/2004 11:47:46 AM:

<snip/>

> > The current proposal is:
> >
> > - configuration is always manditory.
>
> Doesn't mandatory configuration relieve us from needing to split
> commons-logging.jar into several pieces?  I like the fact that I don't
> have to manage multiple commons-logging jar files and will be rather
> dissapointed if that is required in the future.  I wouldn't mind having
> simple properties file or a system property like
> -Dorg.apache.commons.logging.impl=log4j that tells commons-logging to
use
> log4j.

ok, without going back to review exactly what I said in an earlier note, I
had in mind something like:

  commons-logging-core.jar   - core interface & factory class, NO config
  commons-logging.jar        - core + all helpers, NO config
  commons-logging-<impl>.jar - core + ONE helper, ONE config

With this scheme, I believe we can scrub the code from LogFactory that
looks for an attempts to load specific logger impls [Log4J, Avalon, ?],
and instead depend entirely on the config.

> David
>

> > - ambiguous [multiple] configurations located by a particular
> > ClassLoader
> > in the hierarchy requires an "error" to be logged [where is a
reasonable

> > question to ask].  How we determine which configs belong to which
> > ClassLoaders is described in the original proposal.
> >
> > - in a "core" JCL jar, a configuration *must not* be packaged with
JCL.

> > - in a "helper" JCL jar, a configuration *must* be packaged, along
with
> > *one* JCL logger wrapper class.
> >
> > - multiple "helper" JCL jar files, one per logging impl wrapper we
> > support.  Pick the logger impl you want, grab the corresponding
"helper"

> > JCL jar file, and drop it into your application.

<snip/>