commons-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Sitze <rsi...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [logging] Enterprise Common Logging... dare we say 2.0?
Date Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:07:28 GMT
news <news@sea.gmane.org> wrote on 12/21/2004 02:01:07 PM:

<snip/>

> > And yes, I'm leaning towards EXPLICITLY naming methods to encourage
best
> > practices.  To use the distinction made by Curt, I'm pushing the trace

> > level methods towards diagnostic logger function, and stepping away
from
> > other uses entirely.  I'm going to refrain from doing a full brain
dump on
> > all the fun thoughts now running through my head... [separating trace
> > level methods and messaging/admin level methods into seperate
interfaces..
> > ok I lied].
>
> OK, I'm being serious again.  I think there are two problems with "best
> practices": (1) they change and (2) they are in the eye of the beholder.

>    Nothing can be deemed "best" without making a value judgement, which
> means that reasonable people can disagreee as to what is the "best"
> practice.

Agreed.  Looking for balance, there are some things that are more clear
than others.

> Bringing this back to the situation at hand, you think enter/exit are
> best practices, I think they're as useful as the SUPERTINY log level.
> But let's not take my word for it.  Consider that Log4J doesn't include
> enter/exit and it is the pioneer logging framework that's still going
> strong despite an attempt to hijack its charter by including logging in
> the Java language itself.  This leads me to believe your argument that
> enter/exit is a best practice is debatable at best :)
>
> > 3 levels stand out clearly to me:
> >
> > component level tracing [flow] - particularly useful in a larger
system

I want to turn on logging that tracks component boundries.  When I enter
my component [or robert's brick], and when I leave it.  Perhaps log data
exchanged across the boundry.

> > class level tracing [flow]

Ok, now that I'm IN my component, I want to track the flow between objects
/ methods.  Again, data exchanged on method invocation / return.  This
corresponds to the proposed enter/exit.

I'm agreeing with comments by others, in that [generally] I don't want to
log just any old thing here, but I for loggers that do support multiple
log levels, would be useful to have this without the next level down..

> > additional detail

Capture details on internal data, track low level flow if desired...
everything else.

> I still don't understand this distinction, but I am comfortable taking
> your word for it that this is very important.  It would probably be a
> great feature for Log4J instead of JCL :)

is

> > moment,

> > bridge

> >>-0.  This is moving JCL out of the realm of bridging logging APIs and
> >>into the realm of providing logging implementations.  For Log4J,
> >>enter/exit methods will end up being mapped to Log4J's DEBUG level.
> >>This means that JCL will have to provide the implementation that
> >>converts the enter/exit calls into DEBUG calls with a specific format.
> >

> > This is what the thin wrapper DOES.  Not sure I understand your issue.
> >

> >>What format should be used?  Are we going to force one on users of
Log4J

> > We should adopt a helper method to do such formatting, and use it
[common]
> > across all components to standardize this as much as possible.  Where
> > logger impls support such, we pass as much as makes sense straight
> > through.
> >
> > Let's not get hung up on formatting issues, the POINT is to capture
> > information, enable the developers, etc.
> >

> >>or make it configurable?  And if it's configurable, that stinks of JCL

> >>becoming a logging *implementation* rather than *bridge*.  Yuck!  If I

> >>was a committer (you're probably glad I'm not!) I would probably -1
the
> >>enter/exit methods.
> >

> > No problem, I'd just keep beating at your arguments until my last
dying
> > breath. ;-)
>
> Hehe that worked on me last time :)  I think it won't this time though!

I'm not done yet :)