commons-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Sitze <rsi...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [logging] Enterprise Common Logging... dare we say 2.0?
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:10:13 GMT
Glad you made it Robert, was starting to feel that this was getting
snubbed by the core logging advocates ;-)!

robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote on
12/15/2004 01:39:12 PM:

> On 10 Dec 2004, at 00:40, David Graham wrote:
>

> > --- simon <s_kitching@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> >> Regarding the addition of "entry/exit" logging APIs, I'm also in
> >> favour.
> >> The code seems trivial, and it can be mapped to "TRACE" level for
> >> logging implementations that don't provide "FINER" equivalents. It
> >> also
> >> seems to me that:
> >>   log.enter("MyClass", "MyMethod", "Entering method");
> >> is nice and readable.
> >
> > Until you refactor the class name or method name.  Then your logging
> > code
> > is completely misleading.  Considering the fact that IDEs allow you to
> > rename things without even looking at their implementation code, the
> > chance of the logging not keeping up with the names is high.
>
> +1
>
> it would make more sense to take a class (rather than a classname)

The proposed API's take a Class, not a class name.  His concern is still
valid for method names.  Thanks for recognizing this distinction.

> > I would personally never use the enter/exit methods for those reasons.

> >  If
> > I wanted that kind of detail, I would use AspectJ.
>
> +1
>
> but that's the point: at the moment you can't crosscut and log an enter
> or exit to the object's logger because the appropriate method does not
> exist.

Again, thank you for recognizing and pointing this out.  I think I tried
(and may have failed) in another note... wasn't aware of the proper
terminology.