commons-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Sitze <rsi...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: commons-logging auto-detection WAS: [logging] Enterprise Common Logging... dare we say 2.0?
Date Mon, 27 Dec 2004 18:41:56 GMT
"Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hps@intermeta.de> wrote on 12/27/2004
02:57:45 AM:

> "Charles Daniels" <cjd4@yahoo.com> writes:

Struts
> >> in application 'B' direct its logging output to log4j. (Setting the
> >> org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory system property will not help
> >> because system properties are shared by all applications.)
> >>
> >> This simple example shows that the current JCL discovery mechanism
> >> will not always work as intended.
>
> >If I understand the JCL discovery mechanism correctly, it actually
> >should work just fine in the scenario you describe above.  For it to

Not to mention within a J2EE environment, you can bind properties [such as
org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory] to the ClassLoader.  This has to be
done by the J2EE application prior to any invocation of LogFactory, but
it's do-able.

Hmm.... not so sure this works in JCL, but it does with JCDiscovery.

> Yep. Which once again shows, that using JCL in a component is a _good_
> thing, even though Ceki will never cease to argue against it. :-)

Humor aside, Ceki has taken a very reasonable view of JCL.  Please, let's
not incite to humor-wars here.