commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: [logging] Enterprise Common Logging... dare we say 2.0?
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2005 20:12:09 GMT

On  2005-01-25 19:40:35, Richard Sitze wrote:

 > How in the WORLD did this happen?

UGLI did not happen overnight. The idea was discussed on this list
among others over 6 months ago.

 > This feels like 'not-invented-here' and some backstabbing.  How can we
 > POSSIBLY accomplish our goals if we simply refuse to acknowledge that
 > other projects have value?!  What can we achieve with competing
 > abstractions at this level?

The answer can be summarized in a few words: look Ma, no class loaders!

 > Frankly, I expected better of the Apache Logging Services community.

Agreed. How dare Apache Logging Services write a logging interface?
Moreover, they never complained about JCL before.

Seriously, aren't you sick of JCL exploding with an
LogConfigurationException at the most inappropriate times?

 > Excuse me while I go find a wall and beat my head against it for a
 > while...

No problem. You'll thank us later. :-)

--
Ceki Gülcü