commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [PGP] choose another name?
Date Thu, 19 May 2005 08:58:18 GMT
On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 17:27 +1000, Brett Porter wrote:

<snip>

> I also though openPGP was an implementation rather than a spec, so maybe
> going straight to "commons-crypto" is the best. That gives us scope to
> go into encrypt/decrypt as well as signatures and to use other algorithms.
>
> I'd expect generally to just use JCE for this, but it appears some of
> the PGP functions aren't exposed through that - so this API can expose
> those things. I guess this should be one of the goals - not to just
> reproduce functionality that could otherwise be done via JCE.

openPGP is the name used for a group of RFC's inspired by pretty good
privacy. http://www.openpgp.org/ is an association of implementors
promoting the use of this standard (which is probably the source of the
confusion). http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2440.txt is the RFC in question
and covers a message format. it included implementation details as well
as specification (which is another source for the confusion).

it's early days yet but it would be very, very cool to have a pure java
openPGP implementation: IMHO one of the reasons why take up has been
restricted is the lack of user-friendly open source applications. i
really like gnu privacy guard but it is very *nix. a good openPGP
library implementation in java would be a great step forward.

thinking ahead, i now wonder whether it might be better to think along
the lines of a commons-openpgp implementation backed by a commons-crypto
library. apache's going to need not only pgp stuff but also user
certificate management software.

maybe it'd be possible to get enough momentum to think about aiming for
a jakarta-crypto in the medium term followed by an apache-crypto project
one day...

- robert