commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: Commons-Collections enhanced with Java Generics Support
Date Tue, 24 May 2005 22:55:48 GMT
John Watkinson wrote:
> We are definitely ready and willing to
> bring the code back in to the Jakarta Commons when the time is right.
> Our goal was to get it done so that developers (us included) could start
> using and improving it, but we hope that we can eventually contribute it
> all back to the Commons.
+1, This sounds like the right approach to me.

> 1) Should it be a separate project or a branch of Commons-Collections?
>
> It is the case that Java 1.5 classes are NOT binary compatible with
> previous runtime environments (1.4 and earlier). So, the original
> Collections have a very long life ahead of them. Also, an enormous
> number of third-party libraries have the Commons-Collections as a
> dependency and it will not be possible to ensure binary compatibility
> between the generic-enabled Commons-Collections and the original
> library, even if the code is run on the 1.5 platform.
There are numerous good points here. [collections] got a bad name with
the 3.0 release for breaking binary compatability. (In fact this was 99%
FUD spread by Hani and TSS, because only a couple of constants were
incompatible).

However, what it does serve to emphasise is that [collections] must not
only be 'clean', but also be perceived to be clean. To me, this means
that clever tools like Retroweaver would not be an option.

> 2) Is there enough support for the 1.5 Collections to warrant a new
> project?
>
> I agree with the points raised earlier on this topic. Developers may not
> yet be clamoring for this, but as more of them adopt 1.5, they may begin
> doing so. Also, a high-profile project like the Commons-Collections
> could help attract developers to 1.5.
The main problem is keeping bug fixes in sync between the two codebases.
However, a separate package structure is the only practical solution to
achieve 1.5 collections. Whether it is a separate project is a moot
point, and I don't have a strong view either way.

I would expect the package name for collections JDK1.5 to be
  org.apache.commons.collections15

> 3) What are the open-source credentials of Matt Hall and John Watkinson?
>
> We are the authors of Streamsicle (http://www.streamsicle.com). I have
> also written SwarmCache (http://swarmcache.sourceforge.net) and MegaMap
> (http://megamap.sourceforge.net). We are the authors of Starfish, a
> project that we are in the process of opening
> (http://www.larvalabs.com/starfish).
Having previous OSS experience will be helpful.

Finally, any ideas from http://collections15.sourceforge.net should also
be taken into account.

Stephen