commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Commons Filters
Date Tue, 31 May 2005 23:16:04 GMT
Dakota Jack said:

"I would like to go on record, for what it is worth, of
definitly being contrary to creating a large commons webapps which
would then sink the various rather unrelated parts into itself."

I think that is a fair point.  I'm sure we all strive for low-coupling
in our code, and it probably should extend to how utility-type packages
(i.e., things like Commons) are put together.  It's not coupling in the
OOP sense of course, but in the sense of parts being bound together in a
larger whole I mean.

Of course, the flip-side is that some of the "sub-components" of a
larger Web Commons might not really be large enough to justify their own
Commons sub-project.  Tough to tell before its began I'd think :)

I am completely willing to work "within the system", to the degree I
can, and if that means the consensus says a single Web Commons is better
than 10 smaller packages, so be it.  I just want to see *something*
happen, and be involved.

Frank

Dakota Jack wrote:
> Thanks, Simon.  I would like to go on record, for what it is worth, of
> definitly being contrary to creating a large commons webapps which
> would then sink the various rather unrelated parts into itself.  I
> would much prefer to see commons servlet, commons taglibs, commons
> filter, and so on separate from one another so that we don't get one
> or two voices controlling the world.  I can see no reason to have them
> all together.
>
> On 5/31/05, Simon Kitching <skitching@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 15:09 -0700, Dakota Jack wrote:
>>
>>>Something must be missing from this thread.  All we got from Simon was
>>>this reference to a WebDav project.  How that relates to what you are
>>>doing is not clear to me, Frank.  Simon must have sent something else
>>>in addition that you have not provided?  The lack of that information
>>>also makes what Martin is talking about a mystery to us who have not
>>>seen whatever is missing.
>>>

>>What you do in that case is go to an email archive site, search for the
>>original thread (eg by email subject) and read the entire thread.
>>
>>Here are some email archive sites that carry the commons-dev@jakarta
>>list:
>>  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/
>>  http://gmane.org/