commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: [CLI] two different versions of commons-cli-1.0.jar?
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:07:24 GMT
robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk wrote on Thursday, July 21, 2005 11:31 AM:

> the jar has the wrong name and is in the wrong place.
>
> however, i have no reason not to trust the reliability of the
> jar and so i see no problem in uploading a copy to an
> appropriate place with an appropriate name. AIUI, this means ibiblio.
>
>>> Person A builds some code depending on 1.0. They strike a bug, and
>>> ask person B to look into it.
>>
>> If A uses the jar from the local repo, nothing we do on the server is
>> going to change that.  If we rename the jar, person A will still use
>> the bad version named 1.0 from the local repo.
>
> this is indeed a bad situation. however, there is flexibility
> about the contents of the ibiblio repository. AIUI the maven
> team have dealt with similar situations before and i think
> the best thing would be to make sure the jar is preserved
> locally and let brett handle the maven issues.

Maybe Maven itself need a new plugin, that checks the md5 sums automatically. If Maven is
in online mode it should always use the online MD5 sum (if available or warn if no md5 sum
is available online or locally). Such a MD5 verify goal should be in the dependend goals of
the artifact:deploy or the goals of the distribution plugin.

- Jörg