commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject [ANNOUNCE][VFS] commons-vfs 1.0 RC4 available
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2005 17:47:52 GMT
Hi!

The commons vfs community is happy to announce the availability of
commons-vfs 1.0 RC4.

Please find the RC at
http://people.apache.org/~imario/vfs

The site can be reviewed at
http://people.apache.org/~imario/vfs-1.0-RC4/site

Notice:
After some discussion about uri filename resolving style I decided to
add experimental code to the vfs codebase before
the 1.0 release. This was needed as we had to ensure no drastic api
changes are required to support this stuff.
The experimental code needs to be activated by: VFS.setUriStyle(true);

After this change I thought its best to have a new RC - so here it is,
though I dont expect any side effect.

Please refer to the RELEASE_NOTES.txt for full list of changes.

FYI: What is uri-style filename resolving?
When using uri-style filename resolving the resolving stuff is aware of
the difference between files and directories.
If you resolve a relative filename against a "file" it will be resolved
using the "file-directory" as base.
If you resolve a relative filename against a "directory" it will be
resolved using this directory as base.

Examples:

*) Today
Base: file:///home/im/file.txt
Relative Name: file2.txt
Result: file:///home/im/file.txt/file2.txt

*) URI
Base: file:///home/im/file.txt
Relative Name: file2.txt
Result: file:///home/im/file2.txt

*) Today
Base: file:///home/im
Relative Name: file2.txt
Result: file:///home/im/file2.txt

*) URI
Base: file:///home/im/
Relative Name: file2.txt
Result: file:///home/im/file2.txt

Notice the trailing slash to mark the last filename part as directory.
There are still known limitations - they will be addressed later.

---
Mario