commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release commons-logging 1.1.0 As Alpha1
Date Sun, 19 Feb 2006 21:24:08 GMT
On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 08:53 +1300, Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 12:09 +0000, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 22:59 +1300, Simon Kitching wrote:
> > > Sorry but I don't like the idea of calling the code "beta" either. I
> > > would prefer to tell Tomcat/jboss/axis etc that there is a JCL 1.1 RC5
> > > available. That tells everybody that we think things are very close to
> > > releasable state. It also tells people that they need to test & provide
> > > feedback pretty quickly if they want to influence the release. Calling
> > > this a "beta" release implies neither of those things.
> >
> > it's not about influence: it's about ensuring that the code base we have
> > really is compatible and really solves the problems we think it does. i
> > *really* don't want to spend the next year of my life fielding abuse
> > about how bad JCL 1.1 is. IMO the only way to ensure that this does not
> > happen is to get the code well tested in containers before it's full
> > official release.
> >
> > using alpha and beta's for testing is well established amongst apache
> > communities (and others) with large existing installation bases.
> >
> > a release candidate is not an official distribution of any kind. it's
> > very difficult to get unofficial distributions tested by anyone who is
> > not a developer of the product. it is very difficult to generate any
> > kind of publicity around an unofficial release. IMHO it's going to take
> > a lot more effort to talk organisations into testing an unofficial
> > distribution that it would take to approach them about testing
> > compatibility with an official public alpha or beta release.
>
> Ah. So what you really want is for this jarfile (whatever it is called)
> to be distributed via the standard jakarta download sites, rather than
> being an RC which is only available from people.apache.org/~rdonkin?

yep

it would be distributed through cvs.apache.org and would be announced
through the official channels (announcements@jakarta, news page of
jakarta and so on).

> That certainly sounds reasonable. It still sounds odd to me to call this
> "alpha" or "beta" though.

i'd need to include a lengthy explanation with the announcement.

> I'll go with whatever release approach gets consensus...

everyone but me seems to think that it's a bad idea but maybe i'll be
able to talk one or two around :)

- robert