commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject [email] Re: commons-email needs care
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2006 13:56:28 GMT
Thanks Piero; great reply.

Answering inline:

On 2/9/06, Piero Ottuzzi <piero.ottuzzi@omnys.it> wrote:
> Hi Hen,
>
> many thanks for your answer.
> Here is a long mail on commons-email status :)
>
> SVN Repository
> The activity on SVN repository (speaking of the src/java dir) is stalled about
> 5 month ago. What you can find in SVN repository compiles fine and looks like
> what has been released as 'Commons Email 1.0' on 2005-09-27.

That's good. a) it's not that long ago, and b) there's not a lot of
unknown work sitting in svn. Henning, Dion and Eric seem to be the
people with experience on [email]. Any thoughts on a new release guys?

> Bugs
> As you can see in [1] there are 11 bug open
> [37344] This bug provide a patch (in reality it provides a whole new class).
> I'm using this provided class with my patched version of commons-email and it
> is working fine without any issue so far.
> [37178] Can be resolved using the new class provided in previous bug.
> [38538] This is fixed in my own attached patch.

Submit this patch to the Bugzilla issue, rather than in email. It's
less susceptible to being lost if its there.

> [37902] Trivial ;)
> [37783] Includes a patch. I'm using this provided patch with my patched
> version of commons-email and it is working fine without any issue so far.
> [37782] Includes a patch which forces a new dependency on javax.naming.* I'm
> using this provided patch with my patched version of commons-email and it is
> working fine without any issue so far.

Was it 1.2 or 1.3 when naming turned up in the JDK? Would this change
the minimum JVM version of [email]?

> [36856] Includes patches I cannot test and I do not need
> [36844] Includes patches I did not test

Do they look valid? One problem with can't test is that implies we
can't write a unit test for them?

> [37363] Don't have a clue on this one.

Seems to make sense; though it's a feature request rather than a high
priority bug.

> Patch
> Attached you can find a SVN patch that fixes many problems you can see if
> using a MailSession that needs authentication. It includes also the patch
> from bug [37782]. I'm using this provided patch with my patched version of
> commons-email and it is working fine without any issue so far.

See above request to attach in Bugzilla.

> Todo
> As you can see in my attached patch and in reported bugs there are many
> "simple" bug that need fixing non tonly in SVN but also as a new 1.0.1 (maybe
> 1.1) release of commons-email.

>From 1.0 there are 3 versions you could move to:

1.0.1  -  No public/protected API change. Bugfixes applied.
1.1     -  public/protected API added to.
2.0     -  public/protected API removed from.

Which do you recommend?

> Hope this helps ;)

Yep. Helps give the community a view of the problem, offers solutions.
Pulls interest in from contributors and committers.

Categorizing the bugs is also useful. Flat out bugs, i18n issues etc.
Whether an issue would imply a 1.1, or if it would allow a 1.0.1. ie)
if all bar one would work for a 1.0.1, we should probably focus on
them and leave the 1 new feature request for later.  Of course in this
case, you want a new class added which would imply a 1.1 :)

>[1]http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&email1=&emailtype1=substring&emailassigned_to1=1&email2=&emailtype2=substring&emailreporter2=1&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&changedin=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&product=Commons&component=Email&short_desc=&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&keywords=&keywords_type=anywords&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=&cmdtype=doit&newqueryname=&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time

You can shorten the url a bit to:

http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?product=Commons&component=Email&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED

though it's a pain doing that.

Hen