commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Attributes] Leaving project
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 15:14:05 GMT
On 7/7/06, Leo Sutic <leo.sutic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm abandoning the Commons Attributes project. I simply do not have
> the time to keep it going any more.

Understandable. Given that Attributes sounds like it i replaced by JDK
1.5, and end of life was always on the cards.

> I have now "intended" to get a 2.2 release out for *nine months* but
> haven't found the time to actually do it in all that time. That, if
> anything, is a clue that it is time to just admit defeat.

I'm quite happy to volunteer as release-manager for components. I
think I'm back into the flow of how to do things after doing the
FileUpload release.

> What finally made me realize this was when I looked at the Jakarta
> Commons release guidelines. When I see a 39 step checklist for
> releases I don't see "release early, release often". I see myself
> losing my will to live. There is something wrong when the release
> process is twice as long as the time it takes to get all bugfixes and
> new features in for the release.

Yep. Which one is the 39 step one? The one I found immediately is a 16
step one (http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/release.html).

> Therefore: The current snapshots (which you can download from the
> project home page as 2.2 RC) will be the last I produce. For all
> intents and purposes, consider them the "final" 2.2 release.

What's the story with 2.2? Lots of bugfixes, or a reworking of the code or ...?

I'm wondering if it would be best to try and lure you into hanging
around while we did a 2.2 release that then lacked anyone to do much
in the way of bugfixes, or if it would be best to close up shop and
pretend 2.2 didn't get anywhere.

Hen