commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jira usage
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 15:30:34 GMT
> > Just wanted to mention how I've been doing things in Jira for LANG.
> >
> > My aim is to make it so every issue in a project has a version set for
> > it. For Sandbox, read component instead of version - less need to
> > manage things there.
>
> Wow.  Much more organized than the tradition j-c process: code a bit,
> suggest release, decide which bugs to "fix later", crank release,
> start again...

Thanks :)

I've found that  a) the traditional process is embaressing when you
see how responsive some projects out there are and b) not having a
direction takes a lot of the fun out of coding. Lang 2.2 hasn't
exactly been sexy code, but it's been feeling pretty nice to sit down
and pop out an issue every other night.

We have bugs from users that haven't had a response in 2 or 3 years,
when the response just needed to be "sounds good - got a patch?". Just
by having Lang organized and obviously active, it feels (don't have
numbers) that the number of user patches etc have leapt up.

One thing I didn't mention. I'm using the description of the project
in JIRA as a very simple plan of attack. See:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LANG
and
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLI

> Given that Jira supports this pretty easily (modulo email spam
> annoyance), I think what you are suggesting is a good idea.  I will
> try to get this going for [math] and [dbcp]. I will no doubt screw
> some things up in the process.  Please be kind but clear letting me
> know what I am doing wrong.

Turn the notifications off before doing lots of modifications when
fixing the history (you've seen the spam when I forget to do that :)
). Let me know when you think [math] and [dbcp] are ready and I can
add them to the notification filter (that I think I'm going to go
ahead and see if people complain about being spammed with - once I
figure out how).

Hen