commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Attributes] Leaving project
Date Sun, 09 Jul 2006 19:06:14 GMT
On 7/9/06, Leo Sutic <leo.sutic@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 7/7/06, Leo Sutic <leo.sutic@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I'm abandoning the Commons Attributes project. I simply do not have
> > > the time to keep it going any more.
> >
> > Understandable. Given that Attributes sounds like it i replaced by JDK
> > 1.5, and end of life was always on the cards.
>
> Agreed. (I have actually made this explicit in the FAQ since day one.)
>
> > Yep. Which one is the 39 step one?
>
> Preparation + release checklists. So actually, 39 steps in two lists.

Gotya. My opinion - it's a mix of having detailed release notes and lots to do.

> > > Therefore: The current snapshots (which you can download from the
> > > project home page as 2.2 RC) will be the last I produce. For all
> > > intents and purposes, consider them the "final" 2.2 release.
> >
> > What's the story with 2.2? Lots of bugfixes, or a reworking of the code
> > or ...?
>
> Bugfixes and a move to qdox instead of xjavadoc to parse source files.

Why the qdox move? (just in case I have to write the release notes :) ).

> Getting 2.2 out would be a nice endcap, and if you could just get the
> thing out in accordance with specs, that would be absolutely
> fantastic. I'll stick around to get 2.2 out if $SOMEONE_ELSE (you) do
> the release manager stuff.

Sounds good. I'll have a kick around with it tonight. It's a
multiproject, so not quite as easy to jump into as some of the others.

> So, 2.2 and then move it to dormant, or?

Pretty much, though not the same dormant as the dead sandbox stuff.

Do you plan to hang around in Commons, or is Attributes the only one
you really had much interest in?

We've a bunch of components in Jakarta in a similar situation where
there's no pressure to think of new releases and the coders are just
keeping a vague eye on. Harder to do in Commons as the noise of the
other components mean that it can't be like ORO, ECS etc where things
are quiet and boring.

Hen