commons-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Defoort <filip...@cirquedigital.com>
Subject Re: [VFS] accessing FileObjects from different threads
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 07:38:04 GMT
Hi Mario,

Indeed -- it's been a while again... too little time, too many things to do;
but I keep coming back to VFS :-D. Still would love to find the time
to improve the normalization...

It's primarily reads of metadata about the FileObjects that I think are
causing
the problems (listChildren(), getType(),...) -- I don't touch the actual
content
often enough to show any signs there.   It showed up after switching
to RC8-snapshot to work around the cache freshness problem and some
changes in my code to page in information on demand as the main
tables scroll independently.

The symptom is either deadlock on FileObject synchronization or NPE,
depending on the test.

I'll have testing done tomorrow with HEAD and see if it props up with
the very latest
VFS (without the SynchronizedFileObject decoration) and will let you
know... If the problem is still there, I can get you the thread dumps...

Thanks and Cheers!
- Filip