commons-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Defoort <filip...@cirquedigital.com>
Subject Re: [VFS] NPE in rename()
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:08:38 GMT
Mario Ivankovits wrote:

>> After this, neither file exists anymore.... That could cause some
>> major head-aches...
>>
> Works here (on linux) you are on windows, no?

right now testing on OSX; but across linux/windows/osx most of the time.
The idea is to be able to rename the case of a file.. (even if in some cases
the FS itself is not case sensitive; but case preserving).
> Do you mean, the file is physically lost, or only logical in the FileObject.
> If its physical lost, then I'd please you to check it using plain
> java.io.File.renameTo - VFS should not delete the file.

it's _physically_ lost; the code deletes the target file first...
> Maybe you can debug through AbstractFileObject.moveTo - it should enter
> "if (canRenameTo(destFile))" - and there is only a renameTo in the end.
> Strange.
>
> I have no windows running now, maybe on monday I should be able to check
> it myself.

I'll try to dig a bit deeper to see what's going on...

Cheers,
- Filip